[ 9.12.12 and later ] [ Mi 9T and others ] Widevine is L3 now...

After installing the last MIUI 12 beta (20.6.4) on my Mi 9T Pro, Prime Video went back to not allowing HD playback even though with Poney70 mod DRM Info app shows that the Widevine level is still L1.

I am not sure, but after doing some research I think it might be due to the change in the naming of the device in the last version of the rom, as previously all K20 Pro/9T Pro devices were named after the chinese/indian version of the device (K20 Pro), which supposedly is whitelisted in Prime Video to allow HD playback, while international version (9T Pro) isn't in this list.

I know it is actually Amazon the one who should allow any L1 device to stream in HD instead of making a whitelist for just certain devices, but since that is the current situation, I would kindly like to suggest the developers of the rom to go back to the old naming for our device, as in this case I think is the only way to get back this functionality.

In case I am wrong or if there is another way to fix this issue please let me know.

Nope, it will never work...
I have a Mi 9T device and I broke my Widevine L1 certification, even flashing a "good" backup of my persist partition doesn't recover the Widevine certification... :(
My L1 was still there with the 21.3.18 rom, not anymore with the 21.3.24 and 21.4.1. I didn't change anything on the persist partition in my phone life.
Could this patch work in my case (MIUI 12.6 Android 11)?

My L1 was still there with the 21.3.18 rom, not anymore with the 21.3.24 and 21.4.1. I didn't change anything on the persist partition in my phone life.
Could this patch work in my case (MIUI 12.6 Android 11)?
I don't think so because it's for Android 10. :(

Reactions: Ryoma
Any idea if this will be fixed? I'm thinking of just flashing a version before android 11. It caused a lot of problems. Is this possible and would I lose my data?
Most users has Widevine L1, so I don't know what could be fixed by Xiaomi.eu... :(

Most users has Widevine L1, so I don't know what could be fixed by Xiaomi.eu... :(
How is that possible? I only updated my phone (stable) with the android 11 update, didn't flash anything else. I did see that there is a persist backup in my root folder.

I have installed all the weekly roms. After upgrading to 21.3.24 on the Mi 9t, widevine went from L1 to L3 ... and magically, I also got a backup of the partition persist in the root.
I have never touched or backed up that partition.
With the latest version (21.4.1) I continue with L3 and it seems that there is no way to have L1 again.

I have installed all the weekly roms. After upgrading to 21.3.24 on the Mi 9t, widevine went from L1 to L3 ... and magically, I also got a backup of the partition persist in the root.
I have never touched or backed up that partition.
With the latest version (21.4.1) I continue with L3 and it seems that there is no way to have L1 again.

The exact same thing happened to me too.
I have not touched the persist partition either
@Igor Eisberg , it would be nice to have your support in reviewing this, as it is clearly not an isolated case.
Thank you very much for all the other great work you do with this rom.

The exact same thing happened to me too.
I have not touched the persist partition either
@Igor Eisberg , it would be nice to have your support in reviewing this, as it is clearly not an isolated case.
Thank you very much for all the other great work you do with this rom.
And what exactly do you expect me to do about it? Widevine is closed-source and encrypted to the core, and if that's not enough of an issue, I only have Mi 10 to work with on such issues, and Mi 10 supports getting a new key via OTA even on China ROM with no modifications, so not really a candidate for debugging.

@Poney70 can you please update the V1 patch for Miui stable 12.5.40?
Or advise where we can find the LIB files in the rom package to build our own updated zip?

Using Mi9SE + miui stable 12.5.40 (android 11) + magisk 21.2

I had working L1 Widevine on mi9se - android 11 - xiaomi.eu Miui stable 12.5.1 & magisk 21.2

Today I flashed stable 12.5.40 + disable verity vbmeta + magisk 21.2 ----- lost widevine L1 now L3.
I did not touch the persist partition so don't know why the L1 is not back.

I tried to flash your TWRP widevine L1 patch which I previously put on 12.5.1 and it worked OK.

FYI: I read: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/info-widevine-l1-support.61064/
I know we can't manually update certificate on mi9se.
but don't understand why the L1 was lost between stable 12.5.1 & 12.5.40

ALSO:
Magisk safetynet check PASS basic.
Safetynet Test app pass everything - Basic, CTSprofile all pass.
Play store says "certified"

But: Cannot view netflix app in play store (not available for this device). Don't understand why? What else is missing?

I sideloaded the netflix apk to bypass this but still stuck with Widevine L3.

Last edited:
Just tried v1 version of the patch on my 9T Pro and L1 is back on 20.1.16. 1080p playback working again on Amazon Prime Video.
Can you please make a video walking us through the entire process? I've tried almost everything and It's still on L3.
K20 Pro with 20.1.16