Can not connect via USB to computer anymore, but 3 times USB connection option and USB notification gone

Sandra10Mi

Members
Feb 23, 2021
Hello everybody,

I have 2 problems with my Xiaomi mi 10T lite:
1) the main problem is that I am no longer able to connect my phone to my computer via USB.
It worked at first without problems for about a month after I bought the phone! But for no reason (after the phone downloaded a system update?), with the same USB cable it suddenly could not connect to the computer anymore: when I plug the USB cable to the computer, the phone shows in the right upper corner an icon that it is charging, but it does NOT show me ANYMORE the floating notification that it is plugged to a USB cable (neither the notification for charging, neither the notification for USB connection), and the computer does not recognise the phone.
I have now MIUI Global 12.0.8.0 stable, and Android 10 QKQ1 with all with the updates up to date.

Does anyone know how to solve it?

I have set in Developer options > Default USB configuration > File Transfer

But it STILL does NOT show me any notification on the phone when I connect to the computer via USB, and it still looks as if it is just charging, as if neither the phone, nor the computer know that they are connected via USB cable, and the phone looks like it is just charging (not for file transfer)

I have also installed on my PC the new drivers for Xiaomi mi 10, but it still does not work

and now comes my second problem:

2) Trying to set the notification priority to "low" for Android (to make , I went to
Settings > Apps > Manage Apps > Android system > Notifications

But there it shows me 3 times the same option "USB connection" !!!
Like in the attached pictures.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

And when I go on each of these 3 options, that are named the same: "USB connection", it does not show me any option to set the priority to "low" for the USB notifications!
Like in the pictures attached

So there must be something wrong - Why does it show me, one under the other, for 3 times "USB connection"? And how can I set the USB notifications priority to "low", when it shows me no such option?

How can I make it work, and be able to connect to the computer via USB and make a file transfer?

Hello Sandra,

first to your Problem 2):
I have a Mi 10T lite 5G, same device as yours, and i can also see that USB-connections are listed 3x in
Settings > Apps > Manage Apps > Android system > Notifications.
My Rom is xiaomi.eu 12.0.10.0 (QJSCNXM) stable, a very good rom, thanks to all developers!
I think that it is not a bug, it is a feature! Because you can connect more than one USB-device to the phone.
(USB-C connection is very fast, with a hub you can connect 3 devices at the same time, e.g. PC and two 4k Displays. Or keyboard, mouse and charger.)

usb_c_hub.PNG

To your Problem 1):
If i connect a PC (or another device) via USB-cable to the Mi10T lite, a Notification "pops up" where i can choose "only charge" "data transfer MTP" and "PTP picture transfer". This choice is independent from the default USB-setting. My default setting is "only charge" See the screenshot-picture.

com.android.settings.jpg

By connection, in Windows-Explorer a Symbol for the phone is shown.
At this time, the phone is only charging. If i use "adb devices" (from Android-sdk), i get "unauthorized" back. No access to files. In Windows the phone is "empty" containig no data.
If i choose "PTP", in Windows the "Internal Memory" is shown and i have full access only to "DCIM" and "Pictures". (adb returns also "unauthorized").
If i choose "MTP data transfer", i have full access to the internal memory, so i can backup the data or save some data to the phone, for example new rom, img-, zip- or apk-files for installation. (adb devices returns "unauthorized" again).
For full access via adb, i have to turn on "USB-debugging" in the developer options, but simple file transfers from or to the internal memory are possible without debugging.
Because your device is charging after you connected it via USB to your PC, i think the problem comes from your PC (Windows). Recent Microsoft-updates for Windows 10 are turning PCs to "default settings" (terrible!). Maybe your installed drivers are now not working due to "signing problems"
Try to connect your phone to a linux-pc (or boot a linux-system from USB-Stick), enable developer-options, unlock the screen and after USB-connection the USB-menu should pop-up, choose MTP and get acces to your phones internal memory. (In Linux, there is no need to install a driver to get acces to an android-phone). If you get access to your phone via linux, you have to configure your Windows-System again, because there is the problem.

Reactions: jarco
Hello Sandra,

first to your Problem 2):
I have a Mi 10T lite 5G, same device as yours, and i can also see that USB-connections are listed 3x in
Settings > Apps > Manage Apps > Android system > Notifications.
My Rom is xiaomi.eu 12.0.10.0 (QJSCNXM) stable, a very good rom, thanks to all developers!
I think that it is not a bug, it is a feature! Because you can connect more than one USB-device to the phone.
(USB-C connection is very fast, with a hub you can connect 3 devices at the same time, e.g. PC and two 4k Displays. Or keyboard, mouse and charger.)

View attachment 35176

To your Problem 1):
If i connect a PC (or another device) via USB-cable to the Mi10T lite, a Notification "pops up" where i can choose "only charge" "data transfer MTP" and "PTP picture transfer". This choice is independent from the default USB-setting. My default setting is "only charge" See the screenshot-picture.

View attachment 35177

By connection, in Windows-Explorer a Symbol for the phone is shown.
At this time, the phone is only charging. If i use "adb devices" (from Android-sdk), i get "unauthorized" back. No access to files. In Windows the phone is "empty" containig no data.
If i choose "PTP", in Windows the "Internal Memory" is shown and i have full access only to "DCIM" and "Pictures". (adb returns also "unauthorized").
If i choose "MTP data transfer", i have full access to the internal memory, so i can backup the data or save some data to the phone, for example new rom, img-, zip- or apk-files for installation. (adb devices returns "unauthorized" again).
For full access via adb, i have to turn on "USB-debugging" in the developer options, but simple file transfers from or to the internal memory are possible without debugging.
Because your device is charging after you connected it via USB to your PC, i think the problem comes from your PC (Windows). Recent Microsoft-updates for Windows 10 are turning PCs to "default settings" (terrible!). Maybe your installed drivers are now not working due to "signing problems"
Try to connect your phone to a linux-pc (or boot a linux-system from USB-Stick), enable developer-options, unlock the screen and after USB-connection the USB-menu should pop-up, choose MTP and get acces to your phones internal memory. (In Linux, there is no need to install a driver to get acces to an android-phone). If you get access to your phone via linux, you have to configure your Windows-System again, because there is the problem.
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your input. I have the exact same issue using a Mac Mini.

I bought a new original USB cable to ensure it is suited for data. No results.
I do net get the drop down menu when connecting. (charging works)

I do not have a windows machine.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks!
Jarco

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your input. I have the exact same issue using a Mac Mini.

I bought a new original USB cable to ensure it is suited for data. No results.
I do net get the drop down menu when connecting. (charging works)

I do not have a windows machine.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks!
Jarco
Hello, did you find a solution for this? I'm having the same problem and it would help me A LOT ! thank you

Is there no notification or is there a notification and no MTP available?
  • No notification
    • Settings -> Apps -> Manage apps -> Android System -> Notifications -> USB connection
    • * Toggle on "Show notifications"
    • * Set "Importance" to "Minimal"
  • Notification and no MTP
    • Install USB drivers
for driver look here…
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...t-image-update-info-no-ota.64508/#post-643902
First, thanks your reply !
I couldn't find the exact path you described on our models of phones (Redmi 12C and 9A) but most importantly, it looks like there's no way to disable just the notifications, but this could lead to disabling the usb function in general, which would be detrimental to us.

If you have any idea, please feel free to share it! thank you

First, thanks your reply !
I couldn't find the exact path you described on our models of phones (Redmi 12C and 9A) but most importantly, it looks like there's no way to disable just the notifications, but this could lead to disabling the usb function in general, which would be detrimental to us.

If you have any idea, please feel free to share it! thank you
if the path is not the same try to use the search function in settings

Reactions: engmass
if the path is not the same try to use the search function in settings
I checked thoroughly and there's no such option to only deactivate the pop-up screen on the models I'm using. If you have any other idea I'm all ears! It looks like reducing the number of phones per electrical outlet is slowing down those deconnections.

Did you ever solve this? I am having the exact same problem...it used to work fine in the beginning, now a couple of months later suddenly no more USB transfer seems to be possible...the exact same situation that you described.