Flash Mi5, Disable Bootstrap, Install Twrp Via Adb & Make Miui "more Marshmallowy"

May 3, 2016
To those of you who have purchased their mi5's, congratulations. We truly have a revolutionary phone. However, Android has decided that with their newer versions coming out, all secondary ROM producers must adhere to a counterfeit detection system. Enter the bootstrap loader. After a bit of tinkering though, I found out that it's actually pretty easy to fix simple issues and to make MIUI seem more like Marshmallow.

Here's what I've done thus far:

To defeat the bootstrap loader, what you're going to want to do is use Minimal ADB and Fastboot. You can find this with some simple googling.

Once you have this installed, interface with the phone with ADB. Install TWRP. Reboot into TWRP. Volume Up + Power button is what did it for me, I've seen other websites suggest Volume Dn + Power though? Not sure what that's about. Wipe Dalvik cache and format. You might run into an issue where you can't get past TWRP's screen due to an encrypted hard drive. If this is the case, you must first format and wipe cache. After that, go back into TWRP and you should be able proceed. I would suggest using "cofface_twrp_recovery_gemini.img".

To gain root, install Supersu.zip in TWRP after formatting and wiping Dalvik.

After gaining root, use app of choice to freeze or remove remaining bloatware apps (secondary music, calendar apps, etc) . Use No Frills CPU Control to adjust kernel and governor settings. I like performance, set it to run from boot.

To install Google Launcher, you need to get rid of MIUI bloatware and force close miui launcher. Another option is to install Novu launcher and then switch to Google Launcher from that. MIUI tries to keep us contained in the sandbox. Too bad they won't release a "hacker's version".

To enable landscape mode with the Google Launcher, go to settings and under Home Screen select, "Allow Rotation".